Seven sports facilities with Mondo surfaces honored by ASBA for excellence in construction
CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa., Dec. 13, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — For the second consecutive year, seven facilities with surfaces made by Mondo, a global leader in the sports and contract flooring markets, have been honored by the American Sports Builders Association for excellence in sports facility construction.
ASBA, the national organization for builders, designers and suppliers of materials for athletic facilities, presents awards each year to newly built and renovated U.S. athletics facilities by ASBA members. Projects were scored by a panel of ASBA members based on layout and design, site work, drainage, base construction, surface, amenities, innovation and overall impression. Winners’ cumulative scores meet or exceed ASBA standards.
Among the winning facilities with Mondo surfaces were universities, high schools and a community sports complex. One venue was named Facility of the Year in its category.
“Throughout our company’s six decades, Mondo has always been dedicated to manufacturing durable, high-performance sports surfaces that meet the industry’s most stringent quality standards,” said Federico Stroppiana, vice president, strategic development, Mondo Group. “It’s a testament to this dedication that facilities with Mondo surfaces continue to be recognized for the outstanding quality of their construction projects.”
The Winning Venues
In each award category, ASBA chooses the most outstanding venue. Receiving that honor in the Indoor Multi-Purpose Facility division was the University of Findlay’s Koehler Fitness and Recreation Complex, Findlay, Ohio, which installed Mondo’s Sportflex surface for its track, Advance for its multipurpose courts, and Sport Impact and Inlaid Platforms for its weight room. Kiefer USA, Lindenhurst, Ill., was the installer.
In the Distinguished Sports Field, Single Field Facilities division, ASBA honored three venues with Mondo flooring:
- High Point University’s Vert Track, Soccer & Lacrosse Stadium, High Point, N.C., for upgrade of existing facility. The university selected a state-of-the-art Mondoturf artificial turf field with Mondo Ecofill infill, 3NX fiber and Fine Tuned Panel underlayment. Medallion Athletic Products, Mooresville, N.C., performed the installation.
- Joliet Memorial Stadium, Joliet, Ill., for upgrade of existing facility. The stadium chose a Mondoturf Monofilament Classic artificial turf system with Mondo’s groundbreaking 3NX fiber. Kiefer USA installed the field.
- Southern Methodist University’s Gerald J. Ford Stadium, Dallas, for upgrade of existing facility. SMU chose to install a Mondoturf field with the company’s Ecofill infill, 3NX fiber, Thermo-bonded backing and Fine Tuned Panel underlayment. Texas Sport Builders, Burleson, Texas, was the installer.
In the Distinguished Sports Field, Multi-Field Facilities division, the venues with Mondo flooring honored were:
- Edsel Ford High School, Dearborn, Mich., for new construction. The school installed a Mondoturf artificial turf field. Foresite Design, Berkley, Mich., was the design and construction management firm.
- Stagg High School, Stockton, Calif., for new construction. The school installed a Mondotrack, the official track of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and the 2012 Games in London. Verde Design, Santa Clara, Calif., did the design.
- UNC Charlotte’s Northeast Recreational Field Complex, Charlotte, N.C., for new construction. The university installed five Mondoturf artificial turf fields with Mondo’s 3NX fiber and Thermo-bonded backing. Medallion Athletic Products was the installer.
About the American Sports Builders Association
Based in Ellicott City, Md., the ASBA is a nonprofit association helping designers, builders, owners, operators and users understand quality sports facility construction. The ASBA sponsors informative meetings, publishes newsletters, books and technical construction guidelines for both tennis courts and running tracks, and keeps its members aware of the latest developments in the industry. It also offers voluntary certification programs in tennis court, running track and sports fields construction. More information is available at www.sportsbuilders.org .
Mondo is the global leader in the sports and contract flooring markets, manufacturing flooring surfaces for virtually every application. More than 1,100 Mondo tracks and 800 Mondo artificial turf fields are installed worldwide. The official supplier of the athletic track for the past nine Olympic Games and the upcoming 2012 London Olympics, Mondo also is the official supplier or official sponsor of more than 100 sports federations and associations.
The company supplies a wide variety of commercial flooring, and it is the world’s largest producer of sports and toy balls with an average daily production of 450,000 units. In addition, it manufactures large luxury yachts under its Mondo Marine division.
A family-owned business since its founding in 1948, Mondo sells its products in more than 196 countries. The company’s global headquarters are in Italy, and it has manufacturing facilities in North America, Europe and Asia. More information about Mondo is available at mondoworldwide.com.
The Mondo logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=5765
Mondo and Ecofill are registered trademarks of Mondo.
CONTACT: Glynis Gibson
Gibson Communications, Inc.
© Copyright 2011, GlobeNewswire, Inc. All Rights Reserved